Thursday, September 18, 2008

Manicotti

I often like to multiply my recipes when I make them and then freeze meals for later. I have found that this works very well with pasta.

While I was paging through my cookbooks the other day I saw a recipe for manicotti and it looked so good I decided I would make some. This recipe is my take on this Italian classic, I have added ground turkey to the sauce for some extra protein and adjusted the filling based on my own favourite cheeses. To save time I am using commercial spaghetti sauce, I find that Prego fresh mushroom is the best but almost any kind would work.


Manicotti


Ingredients:

filling:
7.5 oz. (1/2 15 oz. container) ricotta cheese
12 oz. (1/2 24 oz. container) cottage cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4c. grated Parmesan
10 oz. (1 block frozen) spinach, defrosted and well drained
1/2 onion
1 tbsp. corn or canola oil
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 eggs lightly beaten

14 manicotti

Sauce:
6 oz. ground turkey
1 tsp. corn or canola oil
1 1/2 c Prego fresh mushroom pasta sauce.

1/3 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. grated Parmesan

To make the filling caramelize the onion in the oil.



Mix the cheeses, spinach, eggs, pepper and caramelized onion in a large bowl.


Put the filling in a one gallon zip top bag.

Boil the manicotti for 5 min. or until just barely soft. Remove to cold water.

Brown the ground turkey in the oil and add the sauce.

Cut a small hole in the corner of the zip top bag. While holding the manicotti noodles in one hand fill directly from the bag and place them in a casserole. I used 2 glass 9x9 casseroles.

Cover in the sauce and sprinkle on the mozzarella and Parmesan.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 min. or until golden brown on top and creamy soft inside.

I served this with corn which while not very traditional provided a nice contrast both in flavour and in colour.


My Review:

I was very pleased with how this recipe turned out. I froze one of the casseroles when it was finished except for the cooking. I also doubled the filling and froze it in a zip top bag, it will be perfect for ravioli or any pasta dish. The next time I make this I will try adding one crushed clove of garlic to the onions before I saute them.
I would definitely recommend this manicotti recipe.


No comments: